Schemes of the Department
Direction and Administration : This is to co-ordinate and supervise work in various sectors for development of Animal Husbandry in the State.
Veterinary Services and Animal Health : The object of the scheme is to render Veterinary Aid including preventive measures against deadly diseases from other State.
Cattle Development: This is an integrated programme of Cattle Development including breeding, management practices and marketing of milk.
- Intensive Cattle Development Project : The object of the scheme is to grade up local cattle through Artificial Insemination programmes with exotic breed, such as, Jersey and Holstein-Friesian to increase milk production.
- Indo-Danish Project, Upper Shillong : The object of the scheme is to establish pure bred exotic herds (Holstein-Fresian) for development of cattle and multiplication of exotic breed to meet the requirement of breeding stock through improved Animal Husbandry practices.
- Livestock Farm, Rongkhon : The object of the scheme is to build up foundation stock to meet the requirement of breeding material in the State and to support cross breeding programmes.
- Regional Crossbred Cattle Breeding Farm, Kyrdemkulai : The object of the scheme is (i) to support crossbreeding programmes in the State, (ii) to impart training farmers and field staff for management in cross bred cattle, (iii) to supply pure bred and cross bred breeding stock to other States in the Region, and, (iv) Supply of milk to the Central Dairy, Mawiong.
- Cattle Farm, Khliehtyrshi: The object of the scheme is (i) to support crossbreeding programmes in the State, (ii) to impart training farmers and field staff for management in cross bred cattle, (iii) to supply pure bred and cross bred breeding stock to other States in the Region, and, (iv) Supply of milk to the Central Dairy, Mawiong.
- Buffalo Farm Songsak: The object of the Schemes is to generate economic development to people of the area and motivate them to distribute high yielding variety genetic Stock in the public for the upliftment of the local Stock
Poultry Development: The object of the scheme is to meet the requirement of breeding stock, table and hatching eggs for the farmers as well as popularise modern poultry and duck keeping amongst the farmers including training and extension services.
- District Poultry Farms: The object of the District Poultry Farms is to supply improved breeding stock to the farmers and create awareness amongst the rural people to take up poultry farming for egg production and broiler production for meat supply.
- Regional Poultry Breeding Farm, Kyrdemkulai : The object of the scheme is (i) to produce improved chicks for distribution to all Government Poultry Farms/private commercial farms in the state for extension of poultry development programmes and supply of improved chicks to other States of North Eastern Region and (ii) to impart training of farmers in poultry breeding and management practices.
- Broiler Farm, Kyrdemkulai: The object of the scheme is (i) to produce broiler chicks for distribution to all District Government Poultry Farms/Private Farms and Farmers for rearing of broiler chicks to meet the demand of broiler meat in the State and (ii) to impart training to the farmers in feeding, management, disease control, marketing etc.
- Duck Farm, Garo Hills: The Duck Farm has been established with an object to popularise duck farming for egg production.
Sheep, Goat and Rabbit Development
- Sheep and Goat Farm, Saitsama/ Nongshillong : The object of the scheme is to rear improved sheep and goat to increase breeding stock to meet the requirement of sheep and goat in the State for meat purposes. Under the scheme, subsidy is provided to farmers for implementation of Goatery schemes. It aims at generating employment for the people and increase meat production.
- Rabbit Farm, Nongpiur: The object of the scheme is for demonstration only to popularise Rabbit Production in the State.
- Pig Farms: The object of pig farms established in every district is mainly to produce improved breeding stock and supply such stock to the farmers. It is also to create awareness amongst the rural people to take up Piggery farming with improved breeding stock.
- Regional Pig Breeding Farm, Kyrdemkulai : The object of the scheme is to supply improved breeding stock to the Government Pig Farms for multiplication to meet the requirement of breeding stock in the State.
Feed and Fodder Development
- Fodder Demonstration and Seed Production Farm: The fodder farms and the fodder seed production farms have been established to meet the requirement of fodder in the Government Cattle Farms and to provide fodder seeds for different fodder farms of the State
- Feed Milling Plants : The object of the scheme is to supply mixed feed to Government farms as well as to private breeders at competitive rate.
- Feed Analytical Laboratory : The object of the scheme is to analyse feed ingredients and mixed feed of state Farms as well as those coming from other States/sources.
Administration, Investigation and Statistics
- Livestock Census : The object of the scheme is to take complete count of the Livestock and Poultry population once in every 5 years and to analyse and interpret the date with ultimate aim of releasing them for various uses by Government and public alike.
- Sample Survey for Estimation of Major Livestock Products: The object of the scheme is to conduct Integrated Sample Survey for estimation of major livestock and poultry products, e.g., milk, meat and eggs and to study the utilisation of livestock and poultry products and existing practices of utilisation/ marketing of such products in the State. This is done on regular basis throughout the year.
- Disease investigation, Clinical Laboratory and Vaccine Depot: The object of the schemes is to investigate different kinds of diseases to help diagnosis of livestock and poultry diseases.
- The Vaccine Depot is to arrange supply of different vaccines to control various diseases of livestock and poultry in the State.
- he Clinical Laboratory is to examine various samples for efficient diagnosis of prevalent diseases of livestock and poultry in the State.
Education and Training
- Studies in Veterinary Science etc. : The object of the schemes is to send local students for training in the B.V.Sc. course outside the State and VFA Training School , Upper Shillong to meet the requirement of Technical Manpower.
- Training of Officers/Workshop : The object of the scheme is to send the officers for training in specialised fields outside the State.
- Vocational Training Centre : The object of the scheme is to impart short training to farmers/beneficiaries on proper management, feeding and health care of livestock and poultry.
Centrally Sponsored and Central Sector Schemes.
The Department is also implementing various Centrally Sponsored Schemes under different heads. The important schemes are: